Use my running pace calculator to calculate the pace of a 5K, 10K, half marathon, and marathon, as well as the pace for any given distance.
With it, you can also calculate the time it takes to finish the race running at a certain pace, and also the distance that you will cross with a given pace over a certain period of time.
What is the purpose of the running pace calculator?
The running pace calculator is a useful tool that can be used to calculate:
- PACE for 5K, 10K, half marathon, and marathon, as well as the pace for any given distance
- TIME needed to finish 5K, 10K, half marathon, and marathon, as well as the time needed for any given distance, running at a certain pace
- DISTANCE that you will cross with a given pace over a certain period of time
How to calculate your pace using the running pace calculator?
- Select “calculate pace” on your calculator.
- Input the goal time for the distance you wish to run.
- Input the distance and pick a unit of measurement (kilometer, meter, miles) or select one of the predefined options (5K, 10K, half marathon, marathon) and the calculator will do it for you.
- The calculator will give you the average pace you need to run so that you can finish the distance in the goal time.
How to calculate time using the running pace calculator?
- Select “calculate the time” on your calculator.
- Input the distance and pick a unit of measurement (kilometer, meter, mile) or select one of the predefined options (5K, 10K, half marathon, marathon) and the calculator will do it for you.
- Input the pace for which you wish to calculate the time.
- The calculator will give you the time you will need to cross a given distance at a given pace.
How to calculate distance using the running pace calculator?
- Select “calculate distance” on your calculator.
- Input the time for which you want to calculate the crossed distance at a given pace.
- Input the pace at which you will run the given time to calculate the distance you will cross.
- The calculator will give you the distance you will cross at a given pace at a given time.
An overview of world records and their average pace
Have you ever wondered what the average pace of a world record at 100 meters is?
In the following section, you will see two tables with a list of men’s and women’s world records for certain races, as well as the calculated average pace for each of them.
Table of men’s world records with the calculated average pace
|Race||Men’s world record time||Men’s world record pace|
|100 m||9.58||1:36 min/km or 2:35 min/mi|
|200 m||19.19||1:36 min/km or 2:35 min/mi|
|400 m||43.03||1:48 min/km or 2:54 min/mi|
|800 m||1:40.91||2:06 min/km or 3:23 min/mi|
|1000 m||2:11.96||2:12 min/km or 3:32 min/mi|
|1,500 m||3:26.00||2:17 min/km or 3:41 min/mi|
|Mile||3:43.13||2:19 min/km or 3:43 min/mi|
|2000 m||4:44.79||2:23 min/km or 3:49 min/mi|
|3000 m||7:20.67||2:27 min/km or 3:57 min/mi|
|5000 m||12:35.36||2:31 min/km or 4:03 min/mi|
|10 000 m||26:11.00||2:37 min/km or 4:13 min/mi|
|5K||12:49||2:34 min/km or 4:08 min/mi|
|10K||26:24||2:38 min/km or 4:14 min/mi|
|Half marathon||57:31||2:44 min/km or 4:23 min/mi|
|Marathon||2:00:35||2:51 min/km or 4:36 min/mi|
Results were obtained from worldathletics.org.
Table of women’s world records with the calculated average pace
|Race||Women’s world record time||Women’s world record pace|
|100 m||10.49||1:45 min/km or 2:49 min/mi|
|200 m||21.34||1:47 min/km or 2:52 min/mi|
|400 m||47.60||1:59 min/km or 3:12 min/mi|
|800 m||1:53.28||2:21 min/km or 3:48 min/mi|
|1000 m||2:28.98||2:29 min/km or 3:60 min/mi|
|1,500 m||3:49.11||2:33 min/km or 4:06 min/mi|
|Mile||4:07.64||2:33 min/km or 4:07 min/mi|
|2000 m||5:21.56||2:41 min/km or 4:19 min/mi|
|3000 m||8:06.11||2:44 min/km or 4:23 min/mi|
|5000 m||14:00.21||2:48 min/km or 4:30 min/mi|
|10 000 m||29:01.03||2:54 min/km or 4:40 min/mi|
|5K||14:19||2:52 min/km or 4:36 min/mi|
|10K||29:14||2:55 min/km or 4:42 min/mi|
|Half marathon||1:02:52||2:59 min/km or 4:48 min/mi|
|Marathon||2:11:53||3:08 min/km or 5:02 min/mi|
Results were obtained from worldathletics.org.
Who can use the running pace calculator?
The running pace calculator is intended for both beginners and advanced runners.
If you are running your first race or you wish to beat your personal record you have to figure out the required pace and make your run “smarter”, according to the shape you are in.
This way you avoid running too fast in the early stages and the resulting premature exhaustion.
Using apps and various gadgets to calculate your pace
Your pace can be measured with various gadgets, such as smartwatches, smartphones, smart bands, etc.
All these gadgets have GPS systems that allow them to track your location.
The problem with such devices is the fact that they are often inaccurate if you are surrounded by tall buildings, lots of trees, or hills that interfere with the satellite signal used to determine your location.
Consequently, it would be a good idea to calculate your pace for a known time and distance with the running pace calculator.
If accurate knowledge of your average pace is important to you then you might have problems when you run in areas where a smartwatch is not really accurate, such as forested tracks.
In such a situation you should use the running pace calculator.
You can use Google Maps to calculate the distance and then input the time of your run to get an accurate average pace for the given values.
Hi, I’m Matea! I’m an Olympic Marathon Runner, founder, and writer behind OLYRUN.com. On this site, I provide help in the form of my knowledge and experience to all who love running and active living. Read more…